Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What do you see?

How did Picasso feel when he first sat before a blank canvas?
How about Michelangelo before a lump of clay
Or how do you think Paula Dean feels when she first stands in front of a hot skillet with a stick of butta?

Now, take a look at this picture and begin to imagine what might be.


Recently JT Curry, owner of Motors Northwest offered to donate this plot of land (which sits at the corner of 70th and Puget Sound) to the neighborhood for a community garden.  A few of your neighbors  along with the assistance of Harvest Northwest have taken him up on his offer and begun planning and dreaming of what might one day be.

If you would like to join us in this process, then we invite you to attend our next planning meeting on:  Thursday, February 26th at 7:00 at First Congregational Church (corner of Puget Sound and 72nd, come in through the kitchen door).  

Until then, if you have any questions or comments you can e-mail Ken Sikes (kwsikes@hotmail.com) or Charrie Hayward (wolfeatsdove@comcast.net).  

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Great spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charrie Hayward - CoordinatorOctober 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM

    As our first Spring/Summer season closes, I have to say I have learned a lot. First of all, being on the Leadership Team has been a great experience, kind of a learn as you go. I tend to be by the book and the entire membership is much more flexible - I am working on being more yielding. I want to Thank everyone for patience and surviving this first season.

    I haven't really gardened much myself, as my husband has done it in the past. The raised beds have made it possible for me to garden and the time I spend in the quiet garden playing with the plants is so wonderful. My job is very stressful at times and the garden time really allows me to decompress.

    I have 2 raised beds and take care of the free community bed. Out of the three beds (and veggies placed on my porch) I have donated over 200 lbs of veggies to the Franciscan Dialysis Clinic, First Congregational Church, Visitation Church, and several neighbors. I know that other gardeners have donated to local organizations as well. For this reason, I am super proud of our success!

    I am anxious to see what next year brings as we are working hard to build a nice fence, a grand table and 5 more raised beds. If we can accomplish this next season our garden will be complete and all our hard work will be there for all to see.

    ReplyDelete